Fano & Outskirts
Fano is ...
a known tourist beach - resort in the north of the Marche region, province of Pesaro and Urbino. With its clear see floor, several times honoured with the Blue Flag, the coast of Fano is distinguished by its natural characteristics, offering the opportunity to its visitors, to choose between the sandy beach of the Lido and the stone beach of Sassonia . The beautiful beaches, represent the ideal destination for a holiday in total relaxation. A stone's throw from the sea, the old town which charms us with its beauty millenary, in Roman times the town was called Fanun Fortunae.
Later on Augustus established here the colony Julia Fanestris that, thanks to its position on the Via Flaminia acquired great importance.
The Augustan Walls and the Arch of Augustus are tangible evidence of the Roman era and represent real architectural gems.
Near the remains of the ancient Roman city, walking through the centre, we find the Dome , whose origins date back to the tenth century.
The Romanesque style is recognizable today in its facade and its interior with high reliefs of the pulpit, while in the following centuries the austerity of the period is replaced by Romanesque frescoes on the walls and the vaults by Domenichino, the Carracci and Ceccarini.
Between the fourteenth and fifteenth century, under the Malatesta family, Fano experienced a period of intense building activity.
These include the Malatesta Fortress, the most impressive defence system of the village, the Arche Malatestiane, on the porch of the ex-church of San Francesco, where it’s still possible watching some monumental tombs of the powerful family, and finally the Malatesta Palace, family residence until 1493, then seat of the municipality and from the beginning of the the twentieth century to the present day site of the Civic Museum and Art Gallery.
The centre of the civic life of Fano since the Middle Ages is the Piazza XX Settembre, once called Piazza Maggiore, with its sixteenth century Fountain of Fortune, topped by the statue of the goddess Fortune which gave the city its ancient name of Fanum Fortunae, the fourteenth-century Palazzo della Ragione or also known as Palazzo del Podestà where, on the main facade it‘s present, a bas-relief trittrico, which in the middle houses a stone statue of the fourteenth century showing St. Paterniano, the saint patron of Fano, while in the side niches there are terracotta statuettes showing San Fortunato and S . Eusebius.
Currently, the Palazzo del Podestà is home to the Teatro della Fortuna (Fortune Theatre), designed by the architect Luigi Poletti. The actual version replace the ancient theatre with the same name built by the famous set designer born in Fano, Giacomo Torelli.
The theatre was badly damaged in Summer 1944 during the bombings of World War II.
Only after fifty-four years since its forced closure in spring 1988, the theatre was reopened to the public after long and complex restoration and renovation that have preserved its ancient splendour.
Not to miss, then, the baroque Church of San Pietro in Valle, richly decorated with stucco, gilding and frescoes by Antonio Viviani, and the Basilica of Santa Maria Nuova, where there are works by Perugino and the young Raffaello.
Just few kilometres from the city centre you can visit the Hermitage of Monte Giove, Camaldolite foundation of 1650, or associate your beach holiday to a spa treatments with healing waters, at the premises of the thermal baths of Carignano.
Fano is ...much more.